Re: Re: Interfacing directly to the low level ethernet driver, how??

Grant Edwards wrote:

> Yes, if RAW sockets were supported by eCos.

> No, the raw I/O API peacefully coexists with the normal network
> stack API.  All network traffic that doesn't use the configured
> proprietary Ethernet protocol number works the same as always.
>
>>> Could you plase be more precise? I don't thing I got your
>>> question, I thought that the version of FreeBSD on eCos didn't
>>> implement RAW sockets. Or at least that's what I understood
>>> from previous threads here. Am I wrong?
>> Indeed, RAW sockets are not [currently] implemented.  My
>> question was what do you need that RAW sockets cannot provide?
>> I think it would be a *much* simpler task to get RAW sockets
>> working within the existing stack than to write your own
>> networking layer.
>
> It's a pretty thin layer -- it just allows you to queue up
> outbout packets with cyg_io_write() and read from a queue of
> inboung packets (with a specified protocol type) using
> cyg_io_read().
>
> Using RAW sockets would be nice, but adding a little code to an
> in-house driver is logistically easier than adding raw socket
> support to an "off-the-shelf" network stack and then turning
> around and doing it all again a couple years later when the
> network stack changes.

Your comments, while they make sense about eCos in general,
aren't helping.  I want to know why Michele thinks he needs
to write his own stack (that's what his questions were about).

Do you have your cyg_io code?  Can you contribute it?

As for the network stack changing - I don't see that happening
anytime soon.  The last time was 5 years ago and there's not
a great impetus for change now.  It makes sense to me to fix
things that are missing or broken, rather than inventing new
ways of doing things.

- --