- fat file system (dosfs)

Hi,
Dosfs code present in CVS is capable of reading and writing to the
existing dosfs partition.
It would be nice to have the capability to create a dosfs partition too.
Any file system expert out here, who can let me know what it takes to
implement this functionality (license permitted), and if there is free
source code available somewhere for reference! I'm on search from my
side.

regards,
Alok