Re: eCos configuration question (was Re: General Q ...)

On 2007-05-31, Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> wrote:

>>> I don't think any of the "pros" do.  AFAICT, it's just
>>> eye-candy to lessen the initial culture shock for Visual-C
>>> programmers. ;)
>>
>> Other than just a hackish preference for command lines, is
>> there anything that ecosconfig can do that configtool can't?
>
> You are forgetting the unix philosophy. It is not configtool
> vs ecosconfig, it is configtool vs
> ecosconfig+emacs+vim+sed+grep+awk+bash.....

And don't forget Python and Perl...

> Being able to combine these together gives you something very
> flexible, powerful, and extensible.
>
>> The latter seems pretty useful, as it lets you see all the
>> documentation on options that is otherwise scattered around a
>> million .cdl files.
>
> The document for all loaded packages is in the ecos.ecc file. So you
> can use more,less,emacs,vim etc to display and probably more
> importantly, search it.

The nice thing about the latter approach (just looking at the
ecos.ecc file with a decent edtor) is that you can easily skip
around as you find out what depends on what else and where the
default values come from.  Trying to doing that in the GUI will
give you a headache and an RSI.  ;)

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I'm having a MID-WEEK
                                  at               CRISIS!