Re: eCos configuration question (was Re: General Q ...)

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 09:50:50AM -0500, John Mills wrote:
> Leaving aside my responses to Andrew cut in below:
>
>  1. How should I set or clear this switch in my *.ecc files? I don't
> recognize the entry in 'configtool'. Should I edit the *.ecc and
> regenerate the tree? Edit the affected 'hal.h'?
>
>  2. In general, is there a listing in eCos or RedBoot docs about these
> [fairly obscure] switches?

I don't use 'configtool' too (I don't know why that was written using
'wxwin' instead 'Tk', I said about :-). So, using 'ecosconfig' every
time, I did find in those days that I edit a few options in ecos.ecc or
even one option!. I decided to keep these recepts (tweaks) in one place:
~/Projects/ecos/ecm (mine).

I keep such u-ECM (micro ECM) recepts there. I have about 15 recepts for
_my_ target(s).  For example, there is my FGETS.ECM ('fgets' issue,
Thanks Andrew!) in that place.  Sometimes, for example, I need in CLI
(!kernel) program to build an interpreter, so I build 'libtarget.a' as

  ecosconfig new <target> default
  ecosconfig import ~/Projects/ecos/ecm/FGETS.ECM
  ecosconfig tree

To use bash [TAB complete] on '~/Projects/ecos/ecm' is mean looking for
some recept. I gave them clever names :-)

What that my  FGETS.ECM, for example? That is just 3 lines

#-------------------------------------------------------------->8
cdl_option CYGDAT_IO_SERIAL_TTY_CONSOLE {user_value "\"/dev/tty0\""};
cdl_component CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_TTY_TTY0 {user_value 1};
cdl_component CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES {user_value 1};
#-------------------------------------------------------------->8

Note: This FGETS.ECM isn't common recept. It's a target related tweak.
      There is /dev/tty0 (my choice) there.

But another tweak is 1-line recept (ROMSTART.ECM) is common recept for
most of us

#-------------------------------------------------------------->8
cdl_component CYG_HAL_STARTUP {user_value ROM};
#-------------------------------------------------------------->8

Etc. ;-)

I think you get the messager, I think, if an 'ecosconfig' syntax would
allows such call

  ecosconfig import - ;# i.e. import 'Tcl lines' = CDLs from stdin

I will like such things

  cat <<_EOF | ecosconfig import -
  # Fine recept to do ...
  cdl_option ...
  cdl_option ...
  _EOF

By same way, it will be easy to "patch" default ecos.ecc by a few of
recepts (tweaks?)

  cat tweak1.ecm tweak2.ecm tweak3.ecm | ecosconfig import -

Well, I think a described here isn't issue for most of young men. But
through months, I think, Stop! I did it, but what I did edit in those
days?!

kind regards,

-- Sergei