Re: eCos configuration question (was Re: General Q ...)

John Mills wrote:
> Leaving aside my responses to Andrew cut in below:
>
>  1. How should I set or clear this switch in my *.ecc files? I don't
> recognize the entry in 'configtool'. Should I edit the *.ecc and
> regenerate the tree? Edit the affected 'hal.h'?

You could edit the .ecc file and rerun 'ecosconfig tree'.  Editing the
hal.h file is useless as it may get regenerated.

More importantly, it would be useful to find out why this is being
set the way it is.  You can figure this out by reading the .ecc file.

>  2. In general, is there a listing in eCos or RedBoot docs about these
> [fairly obscure] switches?

Probably not much beyond the CDL files themselves.

Of course, if you want to contribute some documentation on the subject,
it would always be welcome :-)

> Thanks for any guidance.
>
>  - Mills

>>> I find in my package configuration:
>   >/home/jmills/depot/trapeze/ECOSBUILD/dist/install/include/pkgconf/hal.h:
>   >  #define CYGSEM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_CLAIM_VERSION 1
>
>> ...  So the next question is why is it set to 1?
>
>   If it was a clear decision, the reasons are lost in the mists of time!
>
>>             cdl_option CYGSEM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_CLAIM_VERSION {
>>                 display       "Claim version virtual vectors"
>>                 default_value { CYGSEM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_INIT_WHOLE_TABLE }
>>                 description   "
>>                     This option will cause the version
>>                     virtual vectors to be claimed."
>>             }
>

>> Is CYGSEM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_INIT_WHOLE_TABLE true?
>   Yes:
>   ../trapeze/ECOSBUILD/dist/install/include/pkgconf/hal.h:
>     #define CYGSEM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_INIT_WHOLE_TABLE 1
>
>>             cdl_option CYGSEM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_INIT_WHOLE_TABLE {
>>                 display       "Initialize whole of virtual vector table"
>>                 default_value { CYG_HAL_STARTUP != "RAM" ||
>>                                 !CYGSEM_HAL_USE_ROM_MONITOR }
>
>> do you have a RAM image?
>
>   Not of RedBoot. Our eCos app is expanded into RAM for execution, but
>   RedBoot lives in FLASH.
>
>> Is CYGSEM_HAL_USE_ROM_MONITOR true?
>   Apparently not, if I 'grep'ed right.
>
>  - John Mills