From: ecos-discuss-owner@ecos.sourceware.org
[mailto:ecos-discuss-owner@ecos.sourceware.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Lunn
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 9:26 PM
To: Gary Thomas
Cc: Alok Singh; ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org
Subject: Re: [ECOS] Net BSD network stack posix tasks -

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 09:42:20AM -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:

> Alok Singh wrote:
> > Gary,
> >     To give an example, I'm required to make a posix call in the
> > end_send function below. end_send will be called by the network
stack to
> > send the out to Ethernet driver( layers below network layer to be
> > precise).  What will be happen in this case? Wouldn't the system
crash
> > because of it??
>
> Why would you be calling some POSIX function from this code?  That's
> most certainly not right (and is a layering violation).  What are you
> trying to accomplish that the standard stack and I/O functions (e.g.
> select) cannot provide?

Im guessing here, but i think there "Ethernet" driver is actually not
an Ethernet driver. It is something a lot more complex and it just
emulates being Ethernet. This is broadcom after all. I guess they have
existing code which used to run in user space on Unix/POSIX and used
TAP/TUN to pass packets to the kernel. They are now trying to push
that code down into "kernel" space of the BSD stack and finding out
why it was a bad idea.

   Andrew