RE: Re: diag_printf refuses to print ANSI escape sequences?

> From: Sergei Gavrikov [mailto:w3sg@SoftHome.net]
>
> It seems, that isn't good idea to turn off string checking at
> all in the diagnostic function. LF, CR, BS and TAB are the
> essentials of the text formating. So, those chars are there.
> The '\b' quite could produce a bold printing, in past, for
> example :-) Sometimes, it needs to expand TAB to spaces and
> etc. Other non-printed characters are optional things. This
> is just _my_ opinion.  I think that minimalist set ('\n',
> '\r', '\b', '\t') was the enough set for the diag_print() application.

Fine, that's what CDL items are for. It seems odd, though, that diag_printf
would make such checks, while printf doesn't. Furthermore, it seems less odd
that it would make such a check on an argument string substituted for %s,
than on the format string itself, the latter almost always being a literal
string passed directly to the function by the caller.

Anyway, I don't have a dog in this fight. I was just musing that a CDL
option to take out the checking seemed more sensible than a CDL option to
add yet another check to it.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco