Re: Re: diag_printf refuses to print ANSI escape sequences?

Ð ÐÑÐ, 27/05/2007 Ð 23:51 +0000, Grant Edwards ÐÐÑÐÑ:
> [...]
> >> hex.  What I'm trying to do is:
> >>
> >>  diag_printf("\033[34mBlue Text \033[31mRed Text \033[mNormal Text\n");
> >>
> >> diag_printf refuses to do that, so I have to do something like
> >> this instead:
> >>
> >>  diag_printf("%c[34mBlue Text %c[31mRed Text %c[mNormal Text\n",033,033,033);
> >>
> >> and that seems awkward to me.
> >>
> >> One could argue that embedding escape seqences in strings is a
> >> bit hackish...
> >
> > Ah, the diag_printf() for me always did mean the diagnostic (read debug)
> > output function, but it didn't mean for me any type of the printf+send.
> > IMHO, those diag_*() functions should be the light weight things.
>
> Then adding extra code to reject strings with escape character
> in them seems to be the wrong way to go them.
>
> > I wouldn't see the complex parsing in the diag_printf(),
> > diag_sprintf() functions.
>
> I don't understand.  Are you don't think there shouldn't be
> formatted diagnostic output?
>
> > What's about falk which use the eCos minimal template in the
> > first?
>
> I've no idea.
>
> > It seems, it's easy to use either macros, for example,
> > COLOR_PRINTF, COLOR_PUTS, etc. something like this
> >
> > #define COLOR_PRINTF( fgcolor, bgcolor, fmt, ...) \
> >
> > and to use the diag_write_char() in the body of the macro to
> > output those special characters, or just own whiptail
> > functions, i.e. something like the cprintf(), cputchar(),
> > cputs().
>
> I know there are other ways to accomplish what I want. I was
> just surprised because even full-blown "regular" printf
> functions (e.g. under Windows or Linux) don't include code to
> reject strings with escape characters in them.  So I was
> surprised that a lightweight printf function to have that added
> feature. It's not a big deal as I'm done with the program in
> which I wanted color output -- I was just surprised that it
> worked the way it does.
>
> > But the question is staying for me, Is the colorized output
> > deal for diag_printf?
>
> I almost never have a diagnostic port connected to anything
> that's not a (mostly) ANSI terminal.  99% of the time I don't
> really have much use for color output.
>
> > I know that there are dumb terminals,
>
> I couldn't find a dumb terminal if I wanted to (unless you want
> to count minicom, which is broken in enough ways that I'd
> probably classify it as dumb).
>
> > GDB, etc. there. Those things are deal for diag_printf(),
> > aren't they?
>
> I don't have any dumb terminals, all I've got are ANSI ones. It
> was just some output from a test program I was using to
> troubleshoot some hardware.  It doesn't have to be portable.
>
> > IMHO, diag_led can produce the colorized output,
>
> No it can't.  Not on my platform.
>
> > but diag_printf shouldn't do such things :-)
>
> Since most of the people on Earth don't read English and don't
> use a Latin alphabet, it probably shouldn't produce English or

I didn't speak about at all. I tried to say that diag_printf() hasn't to
become printf(). ABC is, If anyone need in full support for ANSI terms,
let he/she uses termcap/terminfo layer (for compatibility). eCos
printf() just quite prints such things:

printf ("Hello, \E[1meCos\E[m World!\n");

Why is here this flame? If you need to expand the diag_printf() add own
CDL rule to expand that diag_check_string ():

    continue;

Gary already did point on that.

regards,

--Sergei