diag_printf refuses to print ANSI escape sequences?

In the "not a big deal" department...

I'm trying to send ANSI escape sequences using diag_printf, and
diag_printf refuses.  If I put the escape character in the
format string it says

 <Bad format string: 8055F18 : 0 0 2 807F0D8 DDD9BFFD FB93FFDC 8055758 FB93FFDC>

If there's an escape character in a string that is to be
printed using the "%s" format, it says:

 <Not a string: 0x8055F20>

I understand that it's useful to attempt to avoid printing
random binary garbage, but I would think that ASCII ESC might
be allowed in strings.

I've found that insterting the escape characters using %c
works, but that's a bit awkward.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  My LESLIE GORE record
                                  at               is BROKEN...