Re: ECOS_COMMAND_PREFIX question

Mike Sweeney wrote:
> On 5/23/07, jiang jet <jetjiang@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> >From: "Mike Sweeney" <msweeney77@gmail.com>
>> >To: ecos-discuss@sourceware.org
>> >Subject: [ECOS] ECOS_COMMAND_PREFIX question
>> >Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 21:15:27 -0400
>> >
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >In the eCos configuration tool, I am able to build a library
>> >successfully and eCos knows where my build tools are. When I go to
>> >build an application, in this case, the hello world example, I can't
>> >build out of the box with the makefile because the
>> >ECOS_COMMAND_PREFIX
>> >variable defined in ecos.mk just says "arm-elf" and not the path to
>> >the build tools prepended to it. This might be related to another
>> >question I have which is about the ecosenv.sh script. This script
>> >appends the path to my build tools to the PATH environment variable
>> >so
>> >if I source this script everytime in my shell then obviously the
>> >problem I mentioned above goes away. However, firstly there is no
>> >mention in the eCos documentation that I can tell that says you need
>> >to source this ecosenv.sh script everytime you want to build in a
>> >new
>> >shell. Also, the first line in the ecosenv.sh script says "This is a
>

>> maybe it's a shell problem, i remember the environment variable
>> exported in
>> one shell will disapper in another new shell enviornment, if just
>> using the
>> configtools to configure ecos and compile it in cmd line, there should be
>> no need to source script everytime
>> hope i got the point:)
>

>> >generated file used by the eCos installer." which makes one think
>> >you
>> >shouldn't have to source it everytime.
>> >
>> >Thanks.
>> >

> My point is that the ecosenv.sh script has a line saying it is only
> used by the installer. What did the installer use it for since the
> path to my build toolchain is not in my system PATH environment
> variable. As a result of this, I have to source the ecosenv.sh script
> anytime I open a new shell and want to do an eCos application build.
> If this really is what I have to do, then it should be documented in
> the users guide (I didn't see any mention of this there).
>
> My second point is that the eCos configuration tool knows the path to
> my build tools since I specified it there and can build just fine. It
> seems to me that based on this it should be smart enough to append the
> path to my build toolchain in the makefile it generates with the
> variable ECOS_COMMAND_PREFIX defined as in my case just "arm-elf".

Not everyone (certainly not me) uses the config tool to build eCos.
The tools are given their generic names, e.g. arm-elf-gcc, so that
the same name works in all environments (Linux, CygWin, etc)

The 'ecosenv.sh' script is just a convenience on CygWin.  On a system
like Linux, one simply adds the path information to their shell startup.
n.b. I assume you can do this on CygWin as well; I don't know as I don't
use it.

- --