Re: ECOS_COMMAND_PREFIX question

On 5/23/07, jiang jet <jetjiang@hotmail.com> wrote:

>From: "Mike Sweeney" <msweeney77@gmail.com> >To: ecos-discuss@sourceware.org >Subject: [ECOS] ECOS_COMMAND_PREFIX question >Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 21:15:27 -0400 > >Hi, > >In the eCos configuration tool, I am able to build a library >successfully and eCos knows where my build tools are. When I go to >build an application, in this case, the hello world example, I can't >build out of the box with the makefile because the >ECOS_COMMAND_PREFIX >variable defined in ecos.mk just says "arm-elf" and not the path to >the build tools prepended to it. This might be related to another >question I have which is about the ecosenv.sh script. This script >appends the path to my build tools to the PATH environment variable >so >if I source this script everytime in my shell then obviously the >problem I mentioned above goes away. However, firstly there is no >mention in the eCos documentation that I can tell that says you need >to source this ecosenv.sh script everytime you want to build in a >new >shell. Also, the first line in the ecosenv.sh script says "This is a

maybe it's a shell problem, i remember the environment variable exported in one shell will disapper in another new shell enviornment, if just using the configtools to configure ecos and compile it in cmd line, there should be no need to source script everytime hope i got the point:)

>generated file used by the eCos installer." which makes one think
>you
>shouldn't have to source it everytime.
>
>Thanks.

My point is that the ecosenv.sh script has a line saying it is only
used by the installer. What did the installer use it for since the
path to my build toolchain is not in my system PATH environment
variable. As a result of this, I have to source the ecosenv.sh script
anytime I open a new shell and want to do an eCos application build.
If this really is what I have to do, then it should be documented in
the users guide (I didn't see any mention of this there).

My second point is that the eCos configuration tool knows the path to
my build tools since I specified it there and can build just fine. It
seems to me that based on this it should be smart enough to append the
path to my build toolchain in the makefile it generates with the
variable ECOS_COMMAND_PREFIX defined as in my case just "arm-elf".