Re: how to booting the redboot on VMware

xiaolu zhao wrote:
> Thank you for your anwser.
>
> Maybe I will ask a silly question. In a normal C program, the
> execution of the program start from the beginning of the main
> function. In the folder  "\packages\kernel\v2_0\tests" i saw there are
> some test files. ( I don't know if all these files can be used as
> individual application examples ?). In these files, I can not see the
> main( ) functions. They only have cyg_start( ). So I am confused where
> the application program start from, if they have no main( ) functions.
> And who invoke the cyg_start( )function?
>
> Can you help me with these questions? Thank you so much!!

The eCos documentation is your friend - all of this is explained there.
  http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/

eCos provides very complete control over how the application starts.
cyg_start() is the actual starting point for application code.  It
normally calls cyg_user_start(), then starts the scheduler.  The default
version of cyg_user_start() will create a thread environment for running
'main()'.

Look at the examples to see different ways of handling this.  Having
your application start as 'main()' is the simplest, but certainly not
the only choice.

Also, eCos 2.0 is terribly old.  Given that you are just starting out,
it would be wise to work with the latest (CVS) code.
  http://ecos.sourceware.org/anoncvs.html

> On 5/23/07, jiang jet <jetjiang@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> >From: "xiaolu zhao" <deerxiaolu@gmail.com>
>> >To: "jiang jet" <jetjiang@hotmail.com>
>> >CC: ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org
>> >Subject: Re: [ECOS] how to booting the redboot on VMware
>> >Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 22:58:17 +0200
>> >
>> >Thank you for your advice.  Currently I used a software which can
>> >provide virtual serial port. Thus the Host can communicate with
>> >VMware
>> >and I can run the hello world on the virtual machine through the
>> >serial port.
>> >
>> welcome
>> >Can I ask you one more question?
>> >
>> >Because I just start to learn the software development on a RTOS, so
>> >have no idea about what is the application software on a RTOS looks
>> >like. I only have some experience  in embedded software development
>> >without a RTOS. Do you know where I can find some application
>> >example
>> >on eCos or any other RTOS(more complicated than the examples in the
>> >ecos source code)?
>> >
>> in ecos there is no very strict distinction between app and
>> kernel...actually the distinction between os and app in embedded
>> system is
>> not as obivious as in other enviorment
>> I don't know what kind of app you are looking for, maybe minigui is a
>> good
>> choice for u , however, i think ecos itself is really worth studying
>> intensively

- --