Re: eth_drv_send() called recursively

Xiaochen Zhou <zhouxiaochen@h3c.com> writes:

> Hi,everyone:
>
> Here is ethernet packet sending flow in our ecos application:
>
> 1. eth_drv_send() call my_eth_driver_send()
> 2. my_eth_driver_send() call eth_drv_tx_done()
> 3. eth_drv_tx_done() call eth_drv_send()
>
> eth_drv_send() and eth_drv_tx_done() are implemented in
> io/eth/current/src/net/eth_drv.c
>
> eth_drv_tx_done(struct eth_drv_sc *sc, CYG_ADDRESS key, int status)
> {
>     eth_drv_send(ifp);
>
> eth_drv_send(struct ifnet *ifp)
> {
>     while ((sc->funs->can_send)(sc) > 0) {
>         IF_DEQUEUE(&ifp->if_snd, m0);
>         if (m0 == 0) {
>             break;
>         }
> }
>
> If sending queue has many mbufs (we using queue for QOS application),
> sending thread will call eth_drv_send() recursively, the stack of packet
> sending thread will overflow.
>
> Can anyone tell me why call eth_drv_send() in eth_drv_tx_done()? In
> eth_drv_send(), there are a loop to call IF_DEQUEUE(), so I think it is
> useless and harmful. Can I delete "eth_drv_send(ifp)" line in
> eth_drv_tx_done()?

No!

In general eth_drv_tx_done() is not called from the driver's send
routine, it is usually called from the deliver/poll routine once the
packet has actually been transmitted. Usually in response to an
interrupt.

The only situation in which eth_drv_tx_done() may be called from the
send routine is if you have copied the packet out to an internal
buffer, in the driver or hardware. In this case the can_send routine
will fend off susequent send attempts until the packet is sent and a
buffer is available.

So I suspect that either your driver is calling eth_drv_tx_done() in
the wrong place, or your can_send routine is not working correctly.

Whatever the problem, deleting lines from generic code that has been
working corretly for many years is not the correct solution.

--
Nick Garnett                                     eCos Kernel Architect
eCosCentric Limited     http://www.eCosCentric.com/   The eCos experts