how to booting the redboot on VMware

Hi,
I want to try the application examples in the 12th chapter of
"Embedded software development with eCOS". I want to use a virtual
machine on VMware software as my target. I already successfully
install redboot in a virtual machine and see the RedBoot prompt.

But when I try to booting redboot, in the step 10 and 11 which tests
if the host and target connetec well. I found I the host and target
are not connected.

I used my notebook as the host. And I tried the HyperTerminal on the
host to connect the target. Becuase the notebook has no serail port,
so I choose  TCP/IP instead of serial port. And I use the IP address
of the redboot image as the "host address". But the redboot can not be
conneted. Is there something wrong of my operation?

Do you ever meet this problem? And would you like to give some advice
how to solve it?

Thank you so much in advance!

Tina