ARM7 SPI 9 bit support

I need to implement 9 bit SPI transfers on an Atmel ARM7 target
(AT91SAM7). At present spi_at91_ only supports 8 bit transfers but the
hardware is good for 8-16.  I have had some discussion with my compatriots
but is not yet clear to us if this would be useful outside our immediate
development and hence what would be the preferred implementation. It seems
a new field should be added to at91_spi_dev and used in
spi_at91_transaction, but the fashion in which which to pass data >8 bit
into to the transfer functions is less clear when one considers the many
SPI layers involved which all take char* buffers ???
Any sentiments expressed here will be factored into our decision making
and may influence whether anything useful to the wider community comes
from our developments.

Chris