Re: tool to prepare flash image for RedBoot

On 2007-05-04, Hamish Moffatt <hamish@cloud.net.au> wrote:

> I have an embedded system using RedBoot. I would like to prepare an
> image to be programmed into the FLASH devices before board assembly.
>
> Is there a tool available to build a complete image containing
> RedBoot, a SysConfig partition with a default boot script, an
> initialised file system and a linux image?

If you're looking for a tool to combine a bunch of
object/hex/binary files into a single one there are tons of
choicces.

  You can just use objcopy to combine binary chunks.

  You can use something like srec_cat available at
  http://srecord.sourceforge.net/ to combine HEX files.

  You can use objcopy to create an ELF file for each input
  chunk and then link them together.

Personally, I'd probably start by carefully studying the
"objcopy" man page.  It's a _very_ useful program for anybody
doing embedded work.  Then go read the web page for the srecord
project above.  Between the two of them, you should be able to
come up with a pertty straight-forward solution.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Now we can become
                                  at               alcoholics!