Re: tool to prepare flash image for RedBoot

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 08:53:27AM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 04:43:29PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > I have an embedded system using RedBoot. I would like to prepare an
> > image to be programmed into the FLASH devices before board assembly.
> >
> > Is there a tool available to build a complete image containing RedBoot,
> > a SysConfig partition with a default boot script, an initialised
> > file system and a linux image?
>
> Probably the easiest way to do this is build a real system, configure
> it exactly how you want, and then use JTAG to read out the flash, byte
> for byte.

Sure. (Or read it all out under linux, etc.) But that's not quite as
nice as "make ...", and not automatable.

It looks like the NSLU2 hacker community has done some work dissecting
Redboot partitions and the like. The 'slugtool' program can unpack an
NSLU2 firmware image into its individual partitions, and repack one. I
don't know if it can create one from scratch. Still it might be a
starting point.

How are others initialising their boards? Programming every board via
JTAG? Even then you need to produce a composite image.

Thanks,
Hamish