Re: Fwd: Sending raw packets on eCos

On 2007-04-30, Nick Garnett <nickg@ecoscentric.com> wrote:

>>  So I believe the frames should be sent as raw ethernet
>>  frames...All the handling should be done in the application.
>>  As I ran through the archives there were some suggestions to
>>  use eth_drive_write() and eth_drive_read() found in
>>  eth_drv.c. I think these are internal functions used by eCos,
>>  which cannot be used in our application. Please if you can
>>  mention the names of the API's for raw ethernet I/O it would
>>  be very helpful..
>
> You have already named them above. Those are the only APIs
> available. However, they are closely linked in to the BSD
> stack and it will be hard to use them from application level.

I too would be interested in a way to send/receive raw Ethernet
packets.  The products I work on have to support a propritary
Ethernet protocol, and in the past we've always had to write
our own Ethernet drivers that implimented a normal
cyg_io_read/write() API in addition to the BSD network stack
API.

Obviously, some way to send/receive raw Ethernet packets (akin
to socket(AF_PACKET, SOCK_RAW, protoNumer) under Linux) would
save us a lot of work.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! What's the MATTER
                                  at               Sid? ... Is your BEVERAGE