Re: Does ethernet driver "deliver" method need to be re-entrant?

On 2007-04-01, Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> wrote:

> I'm having intermittent problems with an Ethernet driver.  One
> possible explanation would be if the driver's "deliver" method
> was being called "simultaneously" from two different contexts.
>
> Can this happen, or are calls to deliver guaranteed to be
> serialized?

The problem caused by a race condition in a different section
of the driver.  I'm not sure why the author of the driver
didn't put in mutexes.  The sample driver we gave him to follow
had them.

Anywy, I still need to know if deliver needs to be re-entrant
or not.  It looks to me like not -- it is called only from a
DSR context by an alarm handler in the stack, right?

It would be nice if the driver API documentation state whether
each driver method needed to be re-entrant or not...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Imagine--a WORLD
                                  at               without POODLES...