Re: eCos on Windows without Cygwin

On 2007-03-02, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf@kde.org> wrote:
> On Friday 02 March 2007 17:51, Ilija Koco wrote:
>> Yes, probably in large companies the managers and not engineers make
>> decisions, but maybe, if there's demand, someone will see competitive
>> advantage in porting tools to Linux.
>
> Sometimes even the actual developers working with eCos prefer
> Windows. So IMO Oyvind is not completely wrong here. Making it
> easier to develop for eCos under Windows (i.e. without cygwin)
> wouldn't be bad.

Nobody's said it would be bad.  We are are saying that
expecting Linux users to do it is a bit unrealistic:

   1) we don't know how
   2) we've got other things we'd rather do
   3) most of us don't really care

>From what I can tell the eCos maintainers all use Linux as do
most of the experienced users.

If you wanted to pony up £100,000 or so, I'm sure eCosCentric
(or somebody) could be contracted to cobble up a Windows
development environment that doesn't depend so much on Cygwin.

It's still going to have to include bash, Gnu make, TCL, etc. I
suppose you could try to use "native" Win32 clones of those
tools (do such things exist).  So it's not going to be much
simpler than a frozen subset of Cygwni anyway...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm having an
                                  at               EMOTIONAL OUTBURST!! But,