Submitting patches / updates

Ok, so last year I got the VT8235 southbridge code to work with ECOS (this is kind of like a Rhine driver but not quite). And never got around to sending it. I was asked if I would and I said "sure" but then I realized its probably not that simple.

So I did a 'cvs -z3 update -d -P' in preparation for it, and the usual stuff like my files aren't part of the distribution (ok, so I can just bundle those up in a tar ball) but there are some other changes I'm not so sure of.

A year ago there was discussion about making a separate interface for the Phy in the network layer. I built that using some of the prototype stuff that Gary Thomas had done but there was this mysterious thing that I couldn't talk to the Phy unless I could pass in the device handle for the Mac because the Phy was connected through the MII port on the MAC.

I asked on the list and never got an answer back about how the Phy routines were supposed to get hooked up to the network driver so their still not really used. if someone can supply that information I'd be happy to finish that part of it.

The other thing is that I needed to make changes to ecos.db to add a new target (epia_mii) and added a new directory in dev/eth/via/vt8235

Not sure how to communicate those changes to the powers that Be either. If can get some suggestions on how to go about this I can send the code along ...

thanks,
--Chuck