Re: In-built shell for Redboot

I am not a expert in Shell technology, but I'd like to see a general purpose shell functionality can be used both in Redboot and app. :-)
Andrew described many necessary requirement of shell in another mail, I strongly agree with him.
Could we port a common shell from GNU world? That will be fantastic.

Would we like to follow the subject "In-built shell for RedBoot" ...

Ah, this idea does scratch the RedBoot body (or spirit? :)! I saw/see
neither LiloShell nor GrubShell, but, with TAB button on LILO start,
for example, it's possible to select an `init' process as a parameter.
Sometimes, they add to parameters 'init=/bin/sh'. It looks like that
it's possible to add same choice on RedBoot startup to replace default
RedBoot's CLI loop. It would be a cool feature, but, what do they
(RedBoot experts) think about?

Though, looking the RedBoot's 'cyg_start' entry, it seems that was done.
There is one conditional call of the 'cyg_plf_redboot_startup' there. That
piece has been called before a start of the RedBoot's event loop, while
(true) {...}. And RedBoot had madden a lot of initial work (all needed
things for most of us) since a reset. More that, RedBoot gives us an
abstract I/O with virtual channels (serial, ethernet), TFTP/HTTP clients,
FLASH support, etc. Therefore, everybody can just put his own event loop
in his own redboot platform startup function and using the '_rb_gets'
will have a fun with a lovely interpreter (= shell).

I had a fun with an embedded Tcl shell in RedBoot from that point, for
example. Though, there was 'malloc' evil there. Another limitation of
such "In-built shell for Redboot", there won't be any kernel things there.
But, for some tasks that's a solution. Ah, if I would have an objloader
for ARM like Anthnony has for PowerPC (services/objloader) ...

There is yet another issue with such a tweak, that's the RedBoot's
'do_version' call. We cannot hide the RedHat's copyright notice, can we?

Sergei