No DHCP, hard IP address assignment

Our embedded product will live in an environments where sometimes there are DHCP services and some installations with no DHCP services.

My task is to setup a fixed IP address, netmask, and DNS addresse into the existing eCos networking services structures. Is there a way to make sure that the DHCP service request through eCos is not initiated, or a quick time out occurs? The no response time is very long so far as we have been able to observe. Also, where should the fixed network configuration information be placed to allow the rest of the network protocol to see it and us it to run our application?

Thanks in advance for any and all input and answers.

Hans