Re: Red Hat and FSF Copyrights

Mark Salter wrote:
On Wed, 2006-11-22 at 18:28 +0000, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
Andy Jackson wrote:
Whilst browsing through old posts, I came across this one - what is the current situation, as I don't recall hearing anything recently?
Unfortunately there have been difficulties with arranging a copyright assignment contract from eCosCentric to the FSF so "transferred shortly" was evidently optimistic :-|. The ball is at present in their court, but, I suspect due to many legal activities and GPLv3, their legal department's workload appears to be quite heavy since the turnaround has been slower than expected (being diplomatic I won't go into detail).

I have been actively pursuing this and am continuing to do so. In saying that, it's probably about time for me to ping them again anyway.

Even so, any reason why we can't go ahead and change the copyright notices from "(c) Red Hat" to "(c) FSF"?

Theoretically none, except to be accurate, many should retain the (C) eCosCentric. I was hoping to change them all at once not least for logistical ease. But also legally, since Red Hat have an assignment, it continuing to say Red Hat is benign. But since there is as yet no eCosCentric assignment, omitting eCosCentric is a bad idea in terms of the ability to protect eCos's IP and uphold its license.

Jifl (IANAL)