IDE, FAT, and VMWare

I am trying to do my preliminary development on a Linux platform running VMWare. The platform is i386 pc. I have a virtual machine configured with 2 virtual IDE hard drives, /dev/hda/ & /dev/hdb/. The first is formatted as a ext2 file system; the second as a FAT file system. /dev/hda/ has GRUB installed and allows me to boot redboot.

From my Linux platform, I use Insight to connect to redboot on the virtual machine and download my eCos target application, which is suppose to use /dev/hdb/ for file storage.

I am having trouble recognizing /dev/hdb/ as having a FAT file system. The eCos application does see /dev/hdb/, but /dev/hdb/ does not get mounted.

Before I go down this path very far, I am curious whether other users have had a similar configuration working. If so, what problems did they encounter?

Thanks,
Don Walton