Re: eCos on phyCORE-ARM7/LPC229x

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006, Ramiro C. Carvalho wrote:

Dear all,

I was searching the repository for a port targeting the phyCORE?-ARM7/LPC229x board.
In their site, they claim both eCos and eCosPro are available for this board but i could only find a port for AT91M55800A but not for LPC229x.

Do anyone know more on that?

Regards.

Ramiro C. Carvalho

Since 2004/09, thanking Jani Monoses we had gotten the lpc2xxx variant stuffs:

${ECOS_REPOSITORY}/hal/arm/2xxx
${ECOS_REPOSITORY}/devs/serial/arm/lpc2xxx
${ECOS_REPOSITORY}/devs/watchdog/arm/lpc2xxx

An existing of variant HAL sounds good  for new eCos ports for targets
are based on this variant.

In these days Jani presented for community a few ports for lpc2xxx based
boards.

They are

${ECOS_REPOSITORY}/hal/arm/lpc2xxx/p2106
${ECOS_REPOSITORY}/hal/arm/lpc2xxx/lpcmt
${ECOS_REPOSITORY}/hal/arm/lpc2xxx/mcb2100

Well, it was 2004 year. These boards contain LPC21XX CPUs. Those 32-bit
ARM-7 CPUs haven't an external memory bus. Well, the 16 or 64K on-chip
RAM isn't suitable to get a whole eCos power. But, thanking Jani we've
got some HAL templates for LPC targets. It's nice because it's free.

What's about more advanced LPC22XX family? There aren't any prototypes
in the official eCos CVS tree still. But, to make own LPC22XX HAL for
own LPC22XX isn't hardly. You have the nice sources under eCos hal/arm
branch. Learn it.

When I got some LPC2294 based boards from Olimex (each of them has 1M
fast external memory), I did make eCos HAL ports _never_. But I did it.

At first, I read this issue:

http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/ref/hal-porting-guide.html and

I understood, what to make start RedBoot is a quite easy if I have a
working UART on the board and enough of RAM to load eCos applications
there. It was a surprise for me. I thought, Well, I will be able to run
RedBoot, therefore, I will be able to run eCos applications and debug it
with GDB. I thought what that's nice. I knew what I won't have support
for CAN/I2C/SPI and Ethernet at once, big deal! I knew what I will have
a running eCos.

For example, my first HAL port was done for the Olimex LPC-H2294 header
board, then I made HAL things for Olimex LPC-E2294 target. This board
has a Cirrus Logic CS8900A ethernet controller. I made it to work. And
the last board was Olimex LPC-L2294-1M board. I made that port just in a
weekend.

But what's a HAL port for me? For me, it's a possibility to flash by a LED
(it's seriously, I would have no JTAG anymore), it's an ability to run RedBoot
on a target board and it's a possibility to make to work an Ethernet controller
if the board has it. Other things are your deals.

So, what do you need? What do you need to make at once? 1) to adopt (tune) a
setup section (look at hal_platform_setup.h) for your target, LED(s), UART(s)
and RAM init are your care; 2) to adopt memory layout files (mlt_*.{ldi,h}); 3) to
make to work Ethernet chip (SMSC LAN91C11), it's more complex and honorable
task.