RE: Possible bit-rot in hal_if.c

Hi Chris and thanks for the mail!

On Thu, 2006-10-26 at 12:24 +0100, Chris Zimman wrote:
> The Galileo (and later Marvell) bridges were notoriously bug ridden with
> the early versions having something like 30+ pages of errata.  Maybe
> this is why CAS = 2 is only marked as being supported in this version.

Ah yes, I've just been through a rather painful episode with the 64120
series. They have quite a reputation! I was looking at very random linux
crashes on a 4Kc-malta - stuff like random rsync failures, ext3 journal
aborts and interestingly the ethernet controller's linux driver would
report a hardware loopback test failure too.

After torturing the DMA engines and giving up hope, it turned out that a
single crucial bit was not being set in the SDRAM Controller
configuration by this particular bootloader [ let's call it X ]. This
resulted in PCI-DMA transfers occasionally reading junk.

The CAS issue was another one, CL3 SDRAM wouldn't work because a
recommended procedure wasn't being performed during controller init. Now
I can use CL2 or 3 SDRAMs.

In the course of this investigation, I've gone through the manuals and
errata sheets of the GT64120A-B-1 through 4 and can safely say that at
least these controllers can work with SDRAM modules with CAS Latencies 2
and 3. However, there might have been problems with earlier revisions
perhaps.

What I wanted to do was basically propagate the same changes into
RedBoot but I seem to get the impression that Redboot (and perhaps the
rest of eCos as well) for the malta have been lying unused perhaps ? I
didn't expect a build failure!!! Is anyone using eCos and/or Redboot
with current CVS ?

> That code hasn't been touched for quite a while.  I think U-Boot has
> support for this platform as well.  Maybe you can garner something
> useful from there?

Oh yes, I did poke in there. Unfortunately u-boot supports only much
later and very different models of system controllers from
Galileo[Marvell].

I'm trying to boot Linux now and that seems to be failing with :
"** command abort - illegal memory access?"

Thanks for the response though!

Cheers,
Robin