Re: USB Host Stack advice

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 08:01:26PM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 10:49:01AM -0700, David Roethig wrote:
> >
> > For a new project, we need a USB HOST stack
> > for eCos. Ideally, it would also have On-The-Go
> > capability.
> >
> > Does anyone have any advice/experience with USB Host stacks?
>
> eCosCentric have a closed source, pay money, solution using the Jungo
> stack.

Not sure of the official definition of closed source ;-) but FAOD the
Jungo stack comes in source form with a licence to distribute binaries,
once the money has been paid.

> > Would porting the FreeBSD stack be possible in a reasonable amount
> > of time?
>
> Im not sure that would be the right solution for an embedded system. I
> think it will be too general, assume a filesystem where USB device
> drivers live as loadable kernel modules etc. For a deaply embedded
> system this does not make too much sense. You will decide at compile
> time which USB devices you are going to support and compile them into
> the application.
>
> There has been some talk of a native, open source host support, but
> nobody actually did any implementation work :-(

Class drivers also have to be developed, validated & maintained along
with the Host stack, which based on our experience developing the Slave
stack (and looking at the effort to bring it up to USB 2.0) adds to
the task.

 Daniel

  Daniel Morris - Sales & Marketing Director
  eCosCentric - The eCos and RedBoot experts
  Tel: +44 1223 245 571 - info@eCosCentric.com
  DDI: +44 1269 591 171 - danielm@eCosCentric.com