Updating of applications during runtime

Hi all!

I'm trying to find a way to update an application while
running the application. I think the real hardware does not matter
in this case.
Currently the new application is loaded via
TCP and stored in the flash by means of flash-fs.
I'm now struggling with the problem, how to update the fis
to create a valid fis entry (with a valid checksum).
As far as I've searched the archive of this mailing list,
i found in http://sourceware.org/ml/ecos-devel/2005-09/msg00003.html
the fisfs for manipulation of fis entries from the application
side.
Is this a well kown good method to handle such tasks or are there any
better ways for secure updating of applications.

Thanks in advance for your advices,
Gernot