Question on Posix Select function

We are working on a package to complete the eCos Intrument package for
communicating with a PC software through Ethernet. The goal is to record in real
time the Instrument informations from the board to the PC and to watch a graph
to show tasks and other instrument traces.
If someone is interresting on, we can share it...

We began to graph a module with a SELECT function but we have some difficulties
to understand what we see on the Graph.
In a task, before sending, we call the select function. In fact the task which
calls the SELECT function is switching on even if the driver is not ready to
send.
So the graph shows that this task is active very often instead to sleep until
the driver is ready to send.
Do someone know how to explain this phenomenon and how does the Posix select
function really work ?

Thank you,

Emmanuel Coullien