Re: Re: Any shell available?

Frank Pagliughi wrote:
Ilija Koco wrote:

Zimman, Chris wrote:

We've actually written a small shell for eCos that we use internally.
There's no objloader support for our platform yet (AFAIK), but we use
something similar to the RedBoot_cmd() syntax to bring in commands to
the shell. There's a "ps" clone, mount/unmount for the filesystems, ls,
etc.
There's no scripting support, but there's no reason it couldn't be
added.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll see if I can pack it up
into something exportable.

Seems nice. I was about to suggest something like this. Maybe add some networking stuff like ping, ssh, ftp, etc (All selectable/configurable by menas of cdl).
Ilija

Having just finished a vxWorks project, I kind of miss their shell for some quick debugging features. Theirs is not a Linux-style bash shell or anything similar. Rather, it's a thread within the single target process that acts like a C/C++ interpreter. The OS is loaded at boot-up, but application modules can be dynamically loaded and unloaded while the target is running.
That's the general idea a thread that executes some unix like commands.

You can call indvidual functions at the command line. All stdout is sent to the command line and when the function completes, the shell reports the return value. Just like working with an interpreted language. Then you can recompile just your module and reload it while the target is still running.

When done debugging, you can then compile the OS and app all together in one executable (like eCos) without the debug & shell threads.
Or meybe leave a shell with only "non-debugging related" commands" ls, ps, ping.

It's really handy for quick and dirty debugging.

Frank