Re: USB MSD stack

Doyle, Patrick wrote:

From: Andrew Lunn [mailto:andrew@lunn.ch]

What you might be able to do is not set a device class. You then need
to tell M$ windows that when it sees vendor XYZ it should load both
the HID driver and the MSD driver. The HID driver will grab the
interupt end point and the MSD driver will grab the bulk in and out
endpoints.  A lot will depend on what level M$ does its resource
allocations. If it does the allocation at interface level, it will not
work, the first loaded driver will win. If it does it at endpoint
level you have a chance. Handling control transfers is going to be
interesting.

Or you could just write a HID and MSD driver for M$. Well, you don't
need full drivers, just an intermediate driver which has two
interfaces on top and one on the bottom. Does M$ have USB intermediate
drivers? I know they exist for the networking stack....

Andrew

Hmmm... we are hoping to avoid writing any host drivers (or even .ini files, if possible). But we may learn that that is not possible.

Thanks again for your thoughts...

--wpd

If you can get away without writing a Windows driver, I reccomend it. It's at least one less variable when debugging. You may need or want to write your own INF file if you've got multiple interfaces.

On most device chips I've seen, interrupt transfers work in a similar manner to bulk transfers. It's up to the host to guarantee bandwidth to the interrupt transfers and deal with the complexities. So it should be no problem doing the device side of the HID in eCos.

For USB questions, the discussion board on usb.org is excelent. The person who wrote your USB book may be the one to answer your question. The discussion board is at:
http://www.usb.org/phpbb/

Frank