Re: TCP Stack Testing problem

On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 07:36:02PM +0530, Madhava Reddy S wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am new to eCos and currently learning to work on x86 PC platform.
>
> I want to test the working of TCP/IP stack.
>
> I was able to compile and run a sample application using boot floppy
> through serial port.
>
> How can i test the same program using Ethernet port.
> In the configuration tool i have selected "common ethernet support",
> "networking" and "Open BSD Stack" packages.

Rather than add packages like this, use the templates, eg net and
old_net.

> I have generated the library for my work_dir.
> Then i have compiled the program using
> i386-elf-gcc -g -I$(work_dir)/include/hello.c -L$(work_dir)/lib -Ttarget.ld
> -nostdlib -o nw_test
>
> Generated the binary of that exe
> i386-elf-objcpy -O binary nw_test nw_test.bin
>
> copied to floppy
> dd conv=sync if=nw_test.bin of=/dev/fd0
>
> I compiled the target for booting from floppy.
> Started the target.
>
> On Host i started gdb
> i386-elf-gdb nw_test
> when i try to connect using "target remote ip:port"
> it says destination unreachable.

Only redboot contains a tcp/ip enabled stub which can be used by
gdb. Your FLOPPY startup application only has a serial port gdb stub.
This is not a problem though, normal TCP/IP will still work and you
just need to use the serial port for gdb.

Also, rather than writing your own test programs, i suggest you first
use the eCos test programs. These are known to work. Enable
CYGPKG_NET_BUILD_HW_TESTS and do a

make tests

and run the applications in install/tests/net/bsd_tcpip

        Andrew