Re: JFFS2 questions with eCos

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 11:59:40AM +0800, Steven_cheng wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
>         I find that there is the FSTAB_ENTRY as following if I turn on the
> CYGOPT_FS_JFFS2_WRITE :
>
> FSTAB_ENTRY(jffs2_fste, "jffs2", 0,
>      CYG_SYNCMODE_FILE_FILESYSTEM | CYG_SYNCMODE_IO_FILESYSTEM,
>      jffs2_mount,
>      jffs2_umount,
>      jffs2_open,
>      jffs2_ops_unlink,
>      jffs2_ops_mkdir,
>      jffs2_ops_rmdir,
>      jffs2_ops_rename,
>      jffs2_ops_link,
>      jffs2_opendir,
>      jffs2_chdir, jffs2_stat, jffs2_getinfo, jffs2_setinfo);
>
> Question :
> Q1 :There are the functions to write the  jffs2 filesystem,
> but currently RedBoot does not support the commands.

jffs2 is a writeable filesystem and RedBoot currently does not make
use of this functionallity. So far nobody has needed to be able to
write to a JFFS2 filesystem from redboot and so nobody has contributed
code to do so.

> So we can not write (create) a file/dir into the jffs2 image.
> Is it correct ??

There is no Redboot command to do it.

> Q2 : It is the same with FAT filesystem as JFFS2 filesystem,
> currentky it does not support the write command.
> Is it correct ??

Redboot does not know what type of filesystem it is using, it is just
a filesystem. If you add commands which write, they should work for
jffs2, FAT, RAMFS etc.....

> Q3: If I add the some commands likes open (create) by using above functions,
> then I can create a file into jffs2 filesystem.
> Is it correct ??

It should work. But since nobody has actually done this before you
never now if there are bugs to be found....

        Andrew