Re: eCos Configuration Tool

Andrew Lunn wrote:

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 07:59:33PM +0200, Emilio Monti wrote:

Is there any plan to convert the "eCos Configuration Tool" in Java ?
It would also be usefull to better integrate the eCos configuration in Eclipse.

There are plenty of "open source" projects for "Parser Generator" and
"Code Generator" in Java that could form a good basis for a project
like that.

It could be an advantage also for the GUI.
Java mantains portability, like wxWindows, but enances graphics.

For the manage of makefiles and cygwin/unix tools there is a good code
basis in the eclipse CDT plugins.

If there's any project like that I would be happy to help.

There is no project that i know of.

My impression is that none of the maintainers actually use the
configtool. At least i don't use it, and always give debug
instructions using ecosconfig. The other maintainers are also mostly
unix people who like CLI programs and so use ecosconfig all the time.

I think the configtool is more to keep the commercial clients happy
where the management people have a percieved need for a "friendly GUI"
when they buy eCos from the companies that give commercial support. I
don't remember anybody actually contributing patches for the
configtool, so from an open source perspective, the configtool is
dead. The RTOS is what people are interested in, not the tools needed
to configure it.

actually, no. in my experience, both tools and embeddedOS are what ppl are interested in. some developers are more comfortable with commandline, some like GUI, some use both (i find it easier to find things/options in configtool).

what has been annoying is that configtool and ecosconfig don't have the same view of the build tree: ecosconfig assumes to already live in a particulare subdirectory, configtool assumes it has to create the build and the install directories first. it would be nice to have *one* view of the world...

also, while i'm at it :-) both configtool and ecosconfig copy header files into the install tree, it would be extremely helpful if we could have an option to symlink instead --- why? well, debugging with GDB within emacs: gdb ends up using the correct .c files, but unfortunately uses the copied .h files, nasty if you spot a bug in the .h file, fix it and then are surprised that the bug fix disappeared (because it was made to a header file in the install tree and not in the originating ecos tree).

   just my 2 cents,
   dirk

-- Dr Dirk Husemann, Pervasive Computing, IBM Research, Zurich Research Lab hud@zurich.ibm.com --- http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/ PGP key: http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/contact/PGP PGP Fingerprint: 983C 48E7 0A78 A313 401C C4AD 3C0A 278E 6431 A149 Email only authentic if signed with PGP key.

Appended to this email is an electronic signature attachment. You can
ignore it if your email program does not know how to verify such a
signature. If you'd like to learn more about this topic, www.gnupg.org
is a good starting point.