Re: GSM/GPRS/GPS board supporting eCos (Falcom XF55 or similar)

Assuming that the port is already done but they don't release the source, only a binary to link. Can this be done?

Seems like it should be possible! But this is a question for Falcom, not for the eCos discussion list. It really depends on what tools, sources, and APIs they give you... but I guarantee that it'll be hard to work with eCos on that board, so you better hope they give you a binary interface to run your own firmware.

Are are my options in terms of other boards? Anyone?

Not many combo boards like that exist... and of those, I haven't seen any that are programmable.

If it were me, then I'd purchase a commercial GPRS board and GPS board, and tie them together (including the ability to literally power down both boards) with a very low power microcontroller... or maybe an ARM running eCos if you need TCP support.

If you want to help an open source project :) then you can use GPL-GPS (http://gps.psas.pdx.edu/) as your GPS and microcontroller, and then all you'll need is a serial to GPRS converter board which exist by the dozens (just do a google search for "serial to gprs converter". Of course, that's not exactly "lowest workload" option, since GPL-GPS is still under development.

- Andrew

Andrew Greenberg

Portland State Aerospace Society / PSU AESS
http://psas.pdx.edu/

Home: 503.788.1343
Fax: 503.777.5103
Email: andrew@psas.pdx.edu