Re: Re: A suitable x86 based board

R. Vamshi Krishna wrote:

Grant Edwards wrote:

In gmane.os.ecos.general, you wrote:

Yeah PC Motherboard is also fine. But what I wanted was that
is it possible to do away with a floppy drive totally ?

Just don't install one?  About half of my Linux boxes don't
have floppy disk drives.

We have hard-disk/usb pen drive for logging data .. And we
have ideflash.

OK.

Is it possible to have the application on the
hard-drive/usb-pen drive /flash such that manual loading can
be done away with.

I don't understand teh question. Assuming it _is_ a question.

What I meant was that so far with i386 PC as target I had been booting using FLOPPY + Redboot.

Can I do away with the floppy drive and boot the pc/board and load the application using ideflash and/or
usb pendrive ??
-- Vamshi

Oops, I almost forgot....

There's another way to boot eCos applications on an i386/PC: from DOS!

There's an open-source DOS extender that's part of the OSLib project, by Luca Abeni. It's Multiboot compliant, so it can launch eCos executables if they're compiled correctly. It's called eXtender, and can be found at:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=14468&package_id=13845

The idea I tried is not to use the extender to get in and out of DOS, but to boot into eCos at power-up and never return. I haven't done too much with it, but initial tests have worked well. I was mainly trying to get around the headaches of using eCos from the DiskOnChip.

To use it, just compile eCos for GRUB startup type and select "Load into higher memory" (CYGHWR_HAL_I386_PC_LOAD_HIGH -> true). This will create a Multiboot compliant application and place it in a suitable memory area for the extender. (Note that there's a recent patch to eCos to allow you to use Load High with GRUB startup for just this purpose).

Then load something like DOS, RomDOS, or FreeDOS onto the DiskOnChip and make an autoexec.bat file that launches your eCos app, using the extender.

Frank Pagliughi