Re: ECOS - MIPS

K. Sinan YILDIRIM wrote:

i wont make it configurable with make files. i would use object oriented
configurabilitiy.  just inspect Java.

you register classes, you program for interfaces, you use abstract classes.

just inspect bridge or adapter pattern. you will understand me.

Well, I'm afraid eCos is by philosophy and design NOT the right OS for this kind of run-time configurability. eCos is designed for embedded systems where the hardware is well known (you don't keep adding expansion boards from no-name taiwanese manufacturers), where run-time resources (memory, cpu) are scarce. In this context, compile-time configurabibity through #ifdefs and makefiles is a must.

I'm using eCos myself on a MIPS target (IDT32334) and have been through the following steps:
- find an existing HAL which was close to my actual hardware (here: idt79s334a) and modify it to match my hardware exactly.
- build redboot with this HAL to start my system
- carefully select packages and build an eCos tailored for my needs.

Most OS for embedded systems I know use this philosophy (create a BSP/HAL, build the OS from selected packages using some kind of configurator). eCos "just" pushes one step further the configurability. Maybe you should look for an OS not dedicated to embedded systems if this is not the way you intend to work and you have plenty of RAM. Maybe some flavor of Linux ?