Re: - RAM File system

Please reply to the list so that all may benefit.  Private support
is available under contract only.

On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 20:25 +0530, R. Vamshi Krishna wrote:
> Gary Thomas wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 19:06 +0530, rpai@it.iitb.ac.in wrote:
> >

> >>   hello ........
> >>
> >>           I have an application that uses data given by the user. So the
> >>question is how can i get data into the redboot , which format
> >>of file I should store the data. I am using the RAM file
> >>system....
> >>
> >>       Can any one tell me a way to get data into redboot...
> >>

> >Why would you want the data "into RedBoot?"  If the application
> >needs the data, have it fetch it itself, e.g. using TFTP.
> >
> >If you want the data to be permanent, then you could keep it in
> >a FLASH image (managed by RedBoot).  Since the RAM file system is
> >dynamic (purely created at runtime), you may need to fetch the
> >data in some other fashion and then load it into the RAM file system.
> >Another alternative would be to keep the data in some other form,
> >e.g. JFFS2 or ROM file system.
> >

> And if we also create a file during the execution of the application and
> want to make it available to us
> even after the termination of the application, what  do we have to do ?
>
> For instance we would want to keep track of packets that violate a
> condition.
> So to keep track of such things, we would want store this info for
> analysis offline.

You need some sort of persistent storage.  This could be a simple
snapshot of your data to FLASH (you'd have to just write the data
to the appropriate place in FLASH), or perhaps a real FLASH file
system, e.g. JFFS2