Newbie question on ECOS modifications..

Hi all,
Chapter 1 of eCos User?s Guide states the following:
?? eCos is distributed under the GPL license with an exception which permits
proprietary application code to be linked with eCos without itself being
forced to be released under the GPL. It is also royalty and buyout free.

I would like to know does this rule apply to eCos ports to different
platforms, processor etc.? In other words, is the result of a porting
exercise also falls under GPL? For example, x86 version of eCos has SMP
support. If some one attempts to get SMP going for another platform, does
that code fall under GPL as well? I think it does... I want to make sure.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Ramesh