RedBoot - RAM Build - Questions

I'm attempting to use RedBoot[RAM] to program flash. RedBoot is loaded into RAM via JTAG/GDB.

Our custom design is using the Sharp LH79520 processor. This processor has no internal FLASH and no boot loader/monitor.

The memory layout is:
   FLASH            4 MBytes
   RAM (Internal)  32 KBytes
   RAM (SDRAM)     32 MBytes

I don't want a resident monitor. We need to use the
entire flash for application/data.

By reading the documentation and examples,
I have the impression that the idea behind RedBoot is
that it is a resident monitor. Is this correct?

Is the FIS necessary for just downloading code into flash?

Ideally, RedBoot should fit into 32K internal RAM because the external SDRAM requires setup. Would it be possible to slim-down RedBoot to this size?

I'm sure that this topic has been discussed before but I am having difficulty understanding this topic.

Thanks
Dave