RE: Watchdog

A slight twist on the meta-watchdog scheme is to have a high-priority
"system monitor" thread that runs at periodic intervals.  The thread's
responsibility is to monitor the health of all other threads.  First order
of business for the thread: it kicks the watchdog timer. Then, it checks the
system state. If it sees something out of the ordinary, it can try to
correct the system at a software level.  If it determines that the situation
is beyond hope (or merely beyond it's heuristics), it can force an immediate
reset (or let the watchdog expire... either-or).

If either the system timer or the system monitor thread goes out to lunch,
then the watchdog will expire, which is what you would want for this level
of failure.

--Gary Parnes

SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER

Logic Product Development