i386 pcmb heap memory

Our application may be having an issue with running out of heap during static constructors. So that brought up two questions.
1. What will eCos (gcc?) do if we run out of heap during global static constructors? Will an assert fire on the failed 'new'? (our current symptom is just lock-up.)
2. On the i386 pcmb platform does the top of memory which is determined by bios/hard code override the ram size parameters in the linker/memory map files?

Thanks
David Brennan