Re: Can I use eCos source code in a 100% GPLed product?

On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 05:07:19PM -0400, pocketcoder wrote:
> Can I use eCos source code in a 100% GPLed product?
>
> In other words, can I make an OS based on the  eCos kernel  and release
> it all under the more restrictive GPL license?  Or is the eCos
> "exception" a requirement of complying with the eCos version of the GPL ?

#include <std/ianal.h>

The eCos modGPL is GPL compatible. See
http://ecos.sourceware.org/license-overview.html and
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses

The last part of the modification eCos applies to GPL is:

        This exception does not invalidate any other reasons why a
        work based on this file might be covered by the GNU General
        Public License.

Linking to code which is GPL'd would be one such "any other reasons"
which would require you to distribute eCos as GPL.

What you want to do is O.K., but IANAL!

        Andrew