Re: zImage Help.

"Vijay Jayaraman" <Vijay.Jayaraman@Colorado.edu> writes:

> Hi Friends,
>
> I have done the following
> - Redboot up and running with proper IP addresses.
> - all the tests under 'ecosconfig new pc' works fine when loaded from the
> /tftpboot folder via ethernet
>
> 1)
> I want to load the kernel onto the pc. I have found a lot of posts on
> RedBoot> load -r -b 0x8c210000 zImage  or so... but none where it specifies
> how to create a zImage.
> I would appreciate it if any one can tell me how to create a basic zImage so
> that I can
> load the kernel onto the pc. I could not find it in the ecos users guide. My
> apologies if
> I had missed it.

What exactly are you trying to do? zImage is for Linux. If you want to
boot Linux on the PC use LILO or GRUB. There is no support in RedBoot
for running Linux.

If you have indeed run all the tests, then you have successfully
loaded and run eCos. Just build your application as described in the
documentation and load it in exactly the same way.

> 2)
> I also remember reading somewhere that ecos programs dont need the kernel to
> run. Is this correct?

eCos programs need the eCos kernel to run. You can configure eCos down
to eliminate the kernel -- RedBoot is an example of this -- however,
most program do need the kernel.