Re: PPP-Stack dial-into

"Thomas Motz" <t.motz@newage-avkseg.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Nick wrote in
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2004-07/msg00444.html
> > The expectation was that most eCos devices would be solitary remote
> devices that were dialled into,
> > or dialled out. So a single PPP connection would be the ususal case.
>
> I'm surprised at the possibility to dial into the device.
> When I see the API for PPP, it seems that only dial out is usable.
>
> In the latest Reference Manual the API for PPP is described:
>
> "cyg_ppp_up() This function starts up a PPP connection."
> One may conclude that  the function starts a connection to a remote server.
>
> "cyg_ppp_wait_up() This function waits until the PPP connection is running
> ... may take some time to complete, especially if dialling a remote server"
> Does this suggest that cyg_ppp_up() is used for dial out only?
>
> How do I have to stimulate the device through the API so that the device
> waits for a dial into connection?

At present, you will need to handle the initial connection from the
remote end yourself. There is no standard mechanism for doing this in
eCos. You may, for example need to check a password or parse some
commands to indicate that PPP should be started. However, once that is
done, the standard PPP API calls should then just bring up the PPP
link in the ususal way.