Re: Redboot (i386pc with IDE Flash)

Well, I tried it and it seems to work fine for me. I submitted a patch.

http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-patches/2004-08/msg00031.html

Thanks for the help
David Brennan

Nick Garnett wrote:

David Brennan <david@brennanhome.com> writes:

Ram size would not be a typical concern in a PC target (I think). We
are running with 256M of RAM, and probably using less that 64M of
that. So I'd be willing to try and juggle the memory, if you could
point me in the correct direction.

You need to juggle the base address for RAM startup in the mlt files. You also need to create a redboot_GRUB.ecm file -- copy the FLOPPY one and edit it. In theory Redboot should then just work -- although I cannot guarantee it, you'll just have to try it and see.

Yes, I can load an application with GRUB off the network, but it is
not as convenient as with GDB. (Need to set up TFTP/FTP server? GRUB
documentation was not clear on what (ND) was supported when I scanned
it). But debugging serial would be a real pain.

The only real pain in debugging via serial is downloading the executable. But if you have downloaded via the network, then the actual interactive debugging over the serial line consists of relatively light traffic. And you can always put it up to 115200 baud.