Re: redboot problems

On Thursday 22 July 2004 09:42 am, jasmine kohli wrote:
> i have a problem while trying to port Redboot to my
> target board with MPC852T as the target processor.

> the problem that when i try to bring up redboot on my
> board, the code hangs in the call to the
> set_debug_comm function by hal_if_init.
> if i comment out set_debug_comm calls in hal_if_init,
> it hangs in the call to the function
> hal_plf_comms_init
>
> can anyone plz suggest where i could be going wrong .

I had a problem that sounds similar while working on a port to one of our card
engines (SH7760 processor).  What I found is that redboot would output fine
to the serial port, but when I tried to compile an application that used the
eCos kernel, the app would hang on initialization.

It turned out that counter being used as a basis for the delay calls hadn't
been started.  The cyg_hal_plf_scif_set_baud() call was calling a delay
macro.  When building for redboot, this macro ends up calling
hal_misc.c:hal_delay_us(), which properly starts the counter.  However, when
building a kernel, this macro calls hal_if.c:delay_us() which assumes the
counter is already running.

I ended up added code to my cyg_hal_plf_comms_init() for my HAL to start the
counter if building the kernel.

So you might want to look at the delay call for your processor and see if it's
acting like you expect it to.

Do you have an ICE for your processor?  If not, I'd recommend getting one if
you can, they're invaluable for tracking problems like this!

Good luck!
--
Jeff Cooper
Senior Embedded Software Engineer

Logic Product Development
411 N. Washington Ave. Suite 101
Minneapolis, MN  55401

intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If
you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this