Re: eCos support JVM?

On Sunday 11 July 2004 08:23, Amy Yap Hai Sin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> May I know whether eCos suitable for the application that required JVM
> implementation? I will be using ARM7-eCos system to implement my
> application using Java to run on top of it. Please advise.

Amy,

A couple of students once ported the Wonka VM to eCos - veteran list members
may remember Tom and Stijn from Belgium. They were even able to get the AWT
running on an iPAQ, but OTOH they chickened out on the networking side (eCos
network code was in a state of flux back then). They had an ext2 filesystem
built into the executable. 8-(8->)

This port was never maintained, and quite a bit of work would be needed to get
it working again. As you know, my company markets a VM based on Wonka which
already runs on ARM7-uClinux; porting this to eCos is something which we are
interested in doing (it's even mentioned on our web site), but up to now
there was no lead customer to give some priority to this task.

Our product supports J2ME CDC(*), so it is a bit bigger then CLDC solutions of
the kind currently being built into mobile 'phones; expect to need 2MB or ROM
and at least 4MB RAM (preferably 6MB or even 8MB). That places you at the
upper end of what is usually considered to be the eCos domain: OTOH it means
that with our VM + eCos you have a chance of achieving something in 8MB,
whereas on the same device running Linux you would have insufficient free RAM
to do anything much.

Best wishes,

Chris

(*) ObDisclaimer: we are not Sun licencees, so we cannot legally use the
abbreviations J2ME(TM) or CDC(TM) to describe our product. This is just to
give you an idea of the API coverage we are aiming at.

--
Chris Gray                      /k/ Embedded Java Solutions
Embedded & Mobile Java, OSGi        http://www.kiffer.be/k/