Re: Getting RedBoot[ROM] into the Phytec PhyCORE-MPC555

Hi Miguel,

Unfortunately I have no experience with CodeWarrior's flash programmer (I use only GNU tools and a custom BDM interface), my Redboot is programmed in external flash (dual mapped to address 0x00). During development process, because of the inconvenient update, I don’t intend to write it in internal flash.

Regarding your .srec load problem, I wonder if the CodeWarrior's flash programmer is able to interpret the .srec file, actually this is a human readable text file. Normally you should write in the internal flash just a binary representation from your .elf file (see powerpc-eabi-objcopy “–O binary” option).

If I’ll need to write into the internal flash, my first attempt will be to write a small program, which uses Phytec’s supplied routine for writing into the internal flash. This program and the binary image, both loaded in module’s RAM, should do the job.

Best regards,

Dragos

mserrano@engin.umich.edu wrote:

Hi Dragos and eCos list,

We are currently trying to get RedBoot[ROM] into internal flash using
CodeWarrior 8.0 flash programmer. We are using Phytec's
phyCORE-MPC555_BDM_init.cfg as the target initialization file and
converting the redboot.elf file generated by the configuration tools into
a Motorolla S-record file (S3) (this is the file that we are actually
trying to burn into internal flash). Unfortunately this is not working. This is
what the flash programmer log looks like:

=== Execute: Program
=== Timestamp:  Tue Jun  8 15:29:38 2004
=== Flash Device:         MPC555
=== Flash Organization:   448Kx8x1
=== Flash Mem Start Addr: 0x00000000
=== Flash Mem End Addr:   0x0006FFFF
Using restricted address range 0x00000000 to 0x0006FFFF

Using Algorithm: mpc555.elf

Flash Driver Buffer is at:      0x00C029E0
Flash Driver Buffer Size is:    0x00003620
Done

Initialization Command Succeeded
Programming file C:\Software_stuff\redboot_rom.srec

Programming 0x00010000 bytes of Target Memory at 0x00000000
Flash Programmer:  Flash driver reports the following error(s):  Chip
reported error during program

Did you use CodeWarrior's flash programmer? Does anyone know of a different
method of programming into internal flash?

Thanks,
Miguel J. Vega
FEGI C&DH Team
University of Michigan